I am a fitness junkie, a sneaker connoisseur, a lover of anything pink, a daily you tube user, and a certified personal trainer and group x instructor. It is my mission to show each client, gym member and class participant just what their bodies can do. My fitness philosophy is focused around "What can your body do?", changing the focus from what we look like to how our bodies perform and function. The Fitness with a Purpose Newsletter and Blog is a place where you can find tips, tools, and tactics on how to make fitness a lifestyle and maximize each workout and meal to enable you to become as fit and healthy as possible. This is also a place where I share my personal experiences with my own fitness and quest to see just what my body can do when I set a goal and do what ever is possible to achieve that goal. Consistent action produces consistent results!

Saturday, July 16, 2011


JUST KEEP MOVING FORWARD

On July 2nd I competed in my first trail race. 15 miles. 3500 feet of climbing beginning at 10,800 feet, reaching the top at 13,500 feet, and then descending back down to where one could finally begin breathing again.

The race began up hill. I remember standing at the start thinking about the four hours in front of me. "One foot in front of the other Chelsea. Slow and steady. Drink water. Eat. Have fun!"

The first 7.5 miles were pretty much up hill. Running? I did not begin running till the turn around at mile 8. Let's just say I mastered power walking. Head down. Core tight. Shoulders back. Arms pumping forward and back. Omg! My booty and hamstrings got the best workout ever. At one point, seriously, I could not feel my legs; however I felt fantastic. I was trained. I knew what I was up against. My legs have felt like this before loaded with a 30lb barbell, pulsing to Katy Perry every Friday night in Pump. So this was just another day at the office!

I'll eat my words right now.

I will say I felt awesome climbing to the top. I kept on passing people, cruising to the top, one foot in front of the other, even engaging in an occasional conversation here and there when my heart was not jumping out of my chest. I was on schedule with my fuel. A Gel every 45 minutes. Water at every aid station. I had 2 hours and 10 minutes of feeling like I may surprise the heck out of myself and finish this darn race in 3:40.

Eating words right now!!!!

I got to the top. Finally. Exhausted but elated. I drank my chocolate milk that I was craving for 1 hour. I had water....hind sight 20/20....not enough at all. When I turned around and saw the panoramic view of bigger than you surroundings, let's just say my stomach fell from underneath me. I felt wonky. A bit dizzy. Unsteady. And there were noises from my belly that were just not right.

I will save you the disgusting details; however I will entertain you a bit. Down hill was suppose to be a relief for me but turned into 45 minutes of trying to save my humility and dignity above tree line. Snow banks became my friend along with a dear old man who watched guard as I became very sick in front of many runners.

The funny thing was I knew that this may happen. Ken and his friends have inundated me with stories of hell on runs...loose guts...failed nutrition, legs that refused to work. Loose gut! Yup! It happened to me. I remember Ken once said to me that if you do feel bad know that it will most likely pass in 45 minutes or so. I had my watch timing my loss of dignity on top of the mountain. 45 minutes to the T.

The only thing I could do was keep on moving forward. I was sick, but besides the 3 pit stops I was managing to run down towards the finish line. I actually had moments of laughter for when I finally did get to a tree it was like finding gold at the end of the rainbow. Take cover Chelsea!

One foot in front of the other. I power walked. I ran. I shuffled. I moved forward each heavy step after another. I was not going to quit nor would l stop because my belly was upset. I had a goal and that was to finish the race. Time was irrelevant at this point. Finishing was in the forefront of my mind.

When I began to see the outskirts of town I actually began to shed some tears. Even though I struggled with failed nutrition, I was running 15 miles in Leadville, Colorado. I was a sprinter since I was a kid, and an avid naysayer against anything longer than 5 miles. Yet I now have found myself falling in love with long runs and the 10 mile loop around Town Lake. And on July 2nd I became a trail runner!

When I crossed the finish line, I fell into Kathy Redden's arms and cried. I was so happy to see her! It was pride that provoked tears. I did it! I finished. I kept on putting one foot in front of the other even during times when I wanted my mom and a blanket. Long distance running is not easy at all for me. But the challenge is intriguing and when I crossed that finish line ahead of many runners I gained confidence in my ability to accomplish any mind boggling feat I sign up for.

Forward momentum is key to progress. It literally is one foot in front of the other!!!! I remember I was on a long run one day and said to my friends that I was feeling like hell. Their response, "Just keep running." Though I wanted to hit them upside the head, they had a point.

We all will have moments of feeling great, moments of feeling really bad, times when it seems like nothing is working, and those days when lady luck in on your side. Consistent forward movement will be the key to accomplishing the goals you set out to complete.

Just keep running......moving forward.

No comments: