I am a fitness junkie, a sneaker connoisseur, a lover of anything pink, a daily you tube user, and a certified personal trainer and group x instructor. It is my mission to show each client, gym member and class participant just what their bodies can do. My fitness philosophy is focused around "What can your body do?", changing the focus from what we look like to how our bodies perform and function. The Fitness with a Purpose Newsletter and Blog is a place where you can find tips, tools, and tactics on how to make fitness a lifestyle and maximize each workout and meal to enable you to become as fit and healthy as possible. This is also a place where I share my personal experiences with my own fitness and quest to see just what my body can do when I set a goal and do what ever is possible to achieve that goal. Consistent action produces consistent results!

Sunday, January 29, 2012



I will keep this short but wanted to highlight just what you need to do to maximize your workouts and get the results you are aiming for.

1. Frequency and Duration: The most common question is "How many times should I workout?" I wish there was a clear cut answer on this one but I will give you my suggestions based on my personal experience and success and the five years of experience with my clientele.

a. Body Change: 5-6xs a week, 30-75 minutes a day at 80-90% intensity at least 50% of the workout

b. Body Maintenance: 2-4xs a week, 30-60 minutes a day at 75-85% intensity at least 50% of the workout. Body Maintenance is just that: maintaining your current fitness level, what ever that is. So if you are 25lbs overweight and are deconditioned you will remain in this same state unless you commit to more days of exercise.


My suggestion: 3 weight workouts 20-60 minutes, 3 cardio intense workouts 20-60 minutes.


Suggestions: Take a group fitness class at your club. There are several options similar to the following:

Cardio Chiesel, Bosu Blast, Sports Training, Group Power, Total Body Conditioning, Barre, Spin, Hot Yoga


CLASSES I TEACH AT COLORADO ATHLETIC CLUB:

TUESDAY: CARDIO CORE- 4:30

THURSDAY: BARRE - 4:30, SPORTS TRAINING - 5:30

FRIDAY: BARRE- 6:15AM



TRAINERS NOTES:

* The hardest part of working out, training for a race, or just making a commit to exercise daily is GETTING OUT THE DOOR. We all feel like this, EVEN ME. Today - it being 17 degrees - was a challenging wake up call for my 10 mile run. But I got out the door and then the run was fun, challenging, and I felt accomplished once I finished.
* Many clients do workout 4-6xs a week; however they remain in their comfort zone. IN ORDER FOR YOUR BODY TO CHANGE YOU HAVE TO STEP OUTSIDE OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE AND GET UNCOMFORTABLE. At mile 7 today I was mentally and almost physically falling apart: that's where the real training begins. If I stopped at 7 I would have missed the opportunity to establish a new level of fitness.

2. Nutrition: I have sent you a newsletter about this as well as a previous email that highlighted small things to pay attention to in order to maximize what you are doing in the gym.

A. BEGINNING MONDAY THE 30TH I WOULD LIKE EACH OF YOU TO BEGIN TRACKING YOUR NUTRITION UNTIL THE 5TH IF YOU FEEL AS THOUGH NUTRITON IS THE MISSING LINK. LAST WEEK I TRACKED MY NUTRITION AND NOTICED SOME ALARMING HIGH CALORIC, BUT CONSIDERED HEALTHY, SNACKS AND BREAKFAST. THE BREAKFAST I EAT ALMOST DAILY HAD 680 CALORIES, 76 GRAMS OF CARBOHYDRATES, 30 GRAMS OF SUGAR, AND ONLY 15 GRAMS OF PROTEIN. WOW! AND WOO! Obviously this has to change and I would have never known this if I had not tracked my nutrition. Make sure you are completely honest and you do not edit exactly what and how much you eat.

3. Sleep and stress: If you are not sleeping soundly for 7-9 hours and you are utterly stressed you also will not see results. Make sleep and time away from the computer, your to do list, and the stress of work a priority. I have worked out clients 4xs a week and because they were just super stressed and sleep deprived their bodies never changed. Pay attention to this part of the fitness equation with unwaivering detail.



I JUST WANTED TO TOUCH ON A FEW POINTS THAT I HAVE NOTICED THIS WEEK ARE AFFECTING MY CLIENT'S RESULTS.

No comments: