I am a fitness junkie, a sneaker connoisseur, a lover of anything pink, a daily you tube user, and a certified personal trainer and group x instructor. It is my mission to show each client, gym member and class participant just what their bodies can do. My fitness philosophy is focused around "What can your body do?", changing the focus from what we look like to how our bodies perform and function. The Fitness with a Purpose Newsletter and Blog is a place where you can find tips, tools, and tactics on how to make fitness a lifestyle and maximize each workout and meal to enable you to become as fit and healthy as possible. This is also a place where I share my personal experiences with my own fitness and quest to see just what my body can do when I set a goal and do what ever is possible to achieve that goal. Consistent action produces consistent results!

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Running for hours

This weekend I ran my first 25 mile trail race. I was on my feet for 5 hours and 31 minutes. As they say in racing, Saturday was my day. I arrived at the 2nd aid station at mile 10 and felt fantastic. I had my legs. My stomach was cooperating. My mind was present and calm. Listening to my Ipod helped ease the mental distress I have been experiencing since I began training for the Leadville 50/50 in July. Madonna and Britney were helping me shuffle up the 4000 feet of climbing. It was all coming together and I couldn't help but notice that I was actually enjoying myself out there. What a view Fruita is! At mile 17, I began to truly understand that even though it felt like my day in the beginning, the real race has just begun. My legs and back felt incredibly achy, uncomfortable, tired, and honestly this was annoying me. I turned up the music and found some Bon Jovi songs to find peace within the chaos; however I knew something was beginning to take place within my body and the music was not going to solve this issue. Were the wheels beginning to come off? Ken has always told me that endurance running is all about how long and how much you can suffer, as well as how well you can problem solve. Immediately I went into problem solving mode: am I dehydrated and in need of fuel? I suffered for about 15 minutes until a thought popped into my head: I need salt and sugar! So I popped two salt pills, 1 Gu, a hand full of potato chips and drank water. Sure enough, 15 minutes later that alarming feeling in my legs and back disappeared. Onward and Upward! At mile 19 - at this point craving a Del's Lemonade from Rhode Island - I stood at the bottom of an unforgiven climb. "Only 6 miles left Chelsea. One foot in front of the other." Yet, my glutes were on fire and I was definitely tapping into my remaining resources as far as energy and guts. That said, I managed to rally after the climb and actually ran into the finish completing my first endurance trail race. Woo hoo!! Here's what I learned in the 5 hours and 31 minutes I was on the course: 1. Aid station food is the way to go. 1/8 of PB sandwich, 3 potato chips, 1 Gu, and 1/2 cup of coke was the formula for the day. 2. Always bring extra wipes and toilet paper! 3. Carrying Glide in my camel back is key to inner thigh comfort. 4. Running with an Ipod is true mental bliss....at least for this race. 5. Cross Fit and heavy power lifts have been the key to my muscle and anaerobic endurance. As the hours passed, I was able to keep good form due to the high intensity strength training I have added to my workouts. 6. No matter how well the race is going, there will be a few dark shadows during the race. The key is to be able to step back and immediately go into problem solving rather than emotional break down and worry. When I crossed the finish line I was overcome by this exciting feeling of accomplishment. Ken stood there with a smile and he was so proud of me. I just fell into his arms, a feeling of comfort I yearned for since mile 17. I grew up as a sprinter! Endurance running meant running 5 miles for soccer 1x a week, and I dreaded that day all of the time. As I stood there waiting for my Grilled Cheese and potato salad, I couldn't help but to smile and be so proud. I just ran 25 miles in less than 6 hours. And I was able to finish the race because I have been training for it! Whether it's endurance running or just getting to the gym daily for a workout, we all need to first commit to the training. Second, we need to do the work. Third, no matter what, we need to continue moving forward, one foot in front of the other. When you stand on the edge of discomfort, that's where the magic happens!

No comments: