I am a fitness junkie, a sneaker connoisseur, a lover of anything pink, a daily you tube user, and a certified personal trainer and group x instructor. It is my mission to show each client, gym member and class participant just what their bodies can do. My fitness philosophy is focused around "What can your body do?", changing the focus from what we look like to how our bodies perform and function. The Fitness with a Purpose Newsletter and Blog is a place where you can find tips, tools, and tactics on how to make fitness a lifestyle and maximize each workout and meal to enable you to become as fit and healthy as possible. This is also a place where I share my personal experiences with my own fitness and quest to see just what my body can do when I set a goal and do what ever is possible to achieve that goal. Consistent action produces consistent results!

Saturday, May 21, 2011


"If you regularly miss workouts, are lazy, eat too much sugar-laden junk or otherwise can't make a commitment to your fitness, you're simply not going to reach your goals." Bill Geiger

I use to think if I worked out at least 5xs a week at a high intensity I then could eat anything I desired, within reason and moderation. This thought process has been at the forefront of my mind for several years....many years.... at least 13 years! And though I have been an athletic and fit woman for most of my 20's and 30's, I have done my fair share of stressing over cellulite, the pudge below my belly button, and the annoying fat that sits on my obliques. Rather than admit that my nutrition habits were to blame for these troubled areas that lowered my self-confidence, I would just work out harder, longer, and more intensely. I thought that if I loaded up my barbell weight in Pump or jumped higher in Cardio Core I would burn off the entire ice cream pint that I enjoyed eating while watching Sex and the City. This unfortunately was not the case....if anything I was building muscle mass underneath my excess body fat and this was only making me look thicker.



Fitness has never been just about obtaining a six-pack for me. It is all about What my body can do! However, this year I decided that I wanted to transform by body. As stated in my March 6th newsletter, " this is the year I would like to teach class with only my sports bra and short shorts and not suck in the entire time."



Here's the truth: I have known and never denied that nutrition is 80% of the equation. I have known that if I want my muscles to pop and look super sculpted and toned that the elimination of sweets, junk, and salty food would be absolutely necessary. I have been aware that I emotionally eat, especially when I am stressed, tired, and overwhelmed and this coping mechanism has never made me feel better. Just the opposite, I would wake up feeling worse about myself and my body, not to mention bloated and straight up icky!



When I began to incrementally change the nutrition habits that were responsible for sabotaging my quest for a rock solid body, that's when the Ah ha moment knocked me right off of my booty: I threw up my hands in defeat, for no matter how hard I worked out in the past, poor nutrition really was to blame for my tight clothing, low self-esteem, and fluctuating energy levels. For every malt ball, pint of ice cream, bacon wrapped date, caramel latte, butter topped steak, and too big for my mouth spoon full of peanut butter I single-handedly contributed to the dimples on my thighs, excess body fat on my obliques, and pudge below my belly button. Even if I ate clean for four to five days a week, the three days that I ate what ever I wanted were to blame for the stagnant results that would aggravate and frustrate the hell out of me. #$%^&@*!!!!!!!!!



I witness this struggle within YOU every single day in the gym. You check in, put your belongings in a locker, either get on a spin bike, elliptical or treadmill or participate in a Group X class. I see you pedal faster, run farther, and lift heavier. I know that you are working hard in the gym. However, for most body change is still that illusive accomplishment that you shake your heads at and wonder what more can I do. So you hire a trainer. And this for the most part is your jump start to big results, that desire for body composition change that has hung over your head for too long. You commit to a lifestyle overhaul that includes healthy nutrition, at least five days in the gym, and a solid 7-9 hours of sleep a night. You do the work!



Then life has that funny way of sneaking up on you, and all of a sudden your commitment becomes challenged from all directions. Though you are still making it to the gym or getting a run in around Town Lake your nutrition begins to suffer, for who has the time to pack a lunch or stop off and get a healthy meal to go. Think about this: on average a high intensity workout will burn approximately 350-600 calories. Awesome! However, you then leave the gym and begin running errands or return to work and within minutes you find yourself starving and in need of fuel. There was no time to pack a healthy post workout snack so you stop and pick up a quick bite to eat. How many calories are you consuming? Do you know? Is it more than what you just busted your butt to burn off in the gym? Hmmmm.......something to think about!



For the past two weeks - here is my confession - I have struggled with my commitment to fueling my body for transformation. I have craved everything! Cheesy pizza. Chocolaty goodness. Meaty sandwiches. Creamy coffees. Salty snacks. I have stood in front of the peanut butter malt ball container at Whole foods contemplating my commitment to no desserts for a year. "Running naked" will be worth just one malt ball! It's been internal madness my friends. Why? I'm stressed. Between working at least 10 hours a day and packing up my apartment to move it just seems like my world is spinning in so many directions. All I want to do is sit down in front of the television and eat! Will this make me feel better? Possibly at the moment; however long term there will be no positive effects of giving in to the stress induced cravings. Especially if my goal is to see the six-pack that lies underneath the body fat on my tummy.



If your goal is to transform your body fat composition is it imperative that you do not give in to the cravings every time they sneak up on you. I have two cheat meals a week - usually Thursday and Saturday. These cheat meals are so absolutely tasty when I have eaten well all week. They are this delicious treat that I have earned that do not make me feel bloated and icky after consumption. I would like to make clear that there is a distinct difference between body transformation and body maintenance. The latter does not require such strict attention to nutrition. Body transformation on the other hand is a whole different ball game that requires counting calories, knowing just how many carbohydrates, fat and protein you are consuming, working out at least 5-6 days a week at an 80-85% intensity level, and an unwavering commitment to adequate rest, recovery, stress reduction and water consumption. Transforming your body requires an elite commitment that with stands internal struggle and the pressures and stresses of every day life. You have to know what you are working for and why you are working for it!



On Monday in Cardio Core I wore my new Lululemon outfit, a coral sports bra and short shorts. That's it. No 80's inspired cut up shirt to hide underneath. At first, I stood in front of the locker room mirror asking myself and other friendly members if I could pull this off. It only took a few moments for me to say YES! I danced in front of the mirror for a bit and then walked into class. Admittedly, I was proud of my body! Though still a bit self-conscious, I wore my new outfit with confidence. For goodness sakes, I have been working so very hard at transforming my body and in that one moment I saw with my own eyes that it was truly happening!



No amount of malt balls could be worth that moment of exhilaration.

Woo hoo!!!!

No comments: